Specs icon Selima Salaun exudes Parisian chicness, New York know-how, and the vibrancy of the French Riviera.
Born along the Mediterranean coast, Salaun honed her craft as an optician and optometrist in Paris. After moving to the Big Apple in the ’90s, she founded Selima Optique, the trendsetting luxury eyewear brand worn by superstars such as Madonna, Bono, and the late Michael Jackson.
Here, Salaun—who has six stores (located in New York, Santa Monica, and Paris) and is one of the few eyewear designers on the Council of Fashion Designers of America—shares her tips for finding both downtime + inspiration. —Kerri Ann Raimo
- My DESIGN PROCESS starts when I meet someone who tells me, “Oh my God. I need new glasses!”
- ALWAYS EVOLVE. Be curious. Embrace the change.
- When in doubt, come back to your brand DNA.
- Know your customers, spend time with them, and they will FEED YOUR INSPIRATION.
- Keep your mobile phone out of your bedroom. We all need REAL DOWNTIME.
- No one knows YOUR BUSINESS better than you do.
- Keep your SENSE OF HUMOR; it will help you surf the ups and downs.
For a closer look at the Salaun’s world, follow @SelimaSalsa and @SelimaOptique on Instagram.