It has been a wild ride for optician Becky Furuta.
After receiving a Type 1 diabetes diagnosis in October 2007, she was told her cycling career was over.
Furuta pedaled onward, becoming one of the top-ranked female criterium racers in the country, now under contract with Team Type 1 Foundation Women’s Cycling.
Her go-getter attitude extends into eye care—Furuta and Joe Borden, O.D., of Avenue Vision in Golden, CO, recently launched Yeux & Eye Cooperative, a new collection of sustainably made, environmentally friendly eyewear geared toward millennials.
Here, the Transitions Optical Change Agent, pro cyclist, ABO-certified instructor, and motivational speaker (she’s spoken before the International Olympic Committee as well as United Nations representatives!) shares advice on how to overcome roadblocks + realize your dreams.
—Kerri Ann Raimo
- Your work shouldn’t compete with your passions, but complement them. SPORTS VISION LETS ME INTEGRATE ALL MY INTERESTS.
- A LACK OF MOTIVATION IS A LACK OF DIRECTION.
- DON’T LOSE MOMENTUM WHEN YOU FACE ADVERSITY. That’s exactly the moment to bring your A game.
- CHALLENGE ASSUMPTIONS. I never would’ve tried Transitions lenses until receiving a pair at team training. I loved them, and now sell them to all my athlete patients.
- IF YOU WANT TO REALIZE A DREAM, START BY FOCUSING ON ITS SIGNIFICANCE.
- Failure is more exciting than success. WITH FAILURES, YOU UNCOVER NEW OPPORTUNITIES.
- WHAT GOT YOU HERE TODAY IS NOT GOING TO TAKE YOU WHERE YOU WANT TO GO TOMORROW.
For a look at the latest from Furuta, who also works as a brand ambassador for Novo Nordisk and Primal Wear, follow @girlztothefront on Instagram.